Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The First Step

And so I've decided to start a blog. Yes, the tide that is blogging has risen, and borne me upon it. My main intent behind this blog is to learn about blogging--and perhaps to provide me with a non-corporate outlet for my writing as well.

But what to blog about? The decision was easy. I'll write about my commute. My daily commute to work is something of which I am profoundly proud. My commute is but 7 minutes by car, 30 minutes by bus or about 40 by foot. Living close to work is environmentally sustainable, healthful for body and spirit and most importantly, a real time saver--a wonderful benefit considering how short of time I am these days.

Perhaps most significantly for this exploratory blogging excercise, my commute gives me a clear focus for my writing. There's plenty to observe in a seven minute car ride, but considering I only have a car from time to time for this commute (and must therefore at times turn to carpooling, family drop-offs, transit or cycling), there's no shortage of drama in finding my way out the door and to my desk every day--or so I hope. If there isn't, this will be a ridiculously boring blog.

No comments: